I acquired a Masters Degree in counseling from the Albuquerque branch of Webster University in 1999. That same year I began working as a counselor for Albuquerque Public Schools. Six years in that system provided me much experience with children.
While working for Abuquerque Public Schools, I acquired my counseling licensure, LPCC (Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor), and am now certified by the Counseling and Therapy Practice Board of the state of New Mexico. Soon after, I started this private counseling practice, which now specializes in trauma, depression, and anxiety. I started the initial EMDR training in 2007.
Since starting my practice I have also served as a volunteer facilitator at the Children’s Grief Center of New Mexico, and later as a member of the board of directors. After moving from APS, I began working with Southwest Family Guidance Center where I worked with families, adolescents, and children.
Some relevant specialty training includes:
• Sand Tray Therapy taught by Theresa Kestle Ph.D.
• Relational Enhancement Therapy by Mary Helen Schnieder Ph.D.
• Grief training by Children’s Grief Center of New Mexico.
• EMDR training 1 and 2, presented by the EMDR Institute.
• Attachment theory with Dr. Jeff Katzman.
• Intensive Short-term Dynamic Psychotherapy with Dr. Jeff Katzman.
• Addiction and Urge Reduction EMDR training with Dr. A. J. Popkey.
• Theory and treatment of Complex PTSD and Dissociation with Dr. James Knipe.
Before my work in the mental health field, I worked as a as a church pastor for thirty-five years and later oversaw my church’s US youth operations.
I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico with my wife, Elaine. We have two daughters and three grandchildren.